Skip to main content

While you may not be able to apply for the same loans and grants as you did when you were an undergraduate, you can find funding from other places.

Research Councils

Based on the course that you intend to study, there are several research councils that may be able to help you, including:

Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC).
Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC).
Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).
Engineering and Physical Science Research Council (EPSRC).
Medical Research Council (MRC).
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC).
Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).

You will need to be a “home resident” of the UK to apply. IF you are a EU resident, you are only able to apply to councils for tuition fees, not maintenance.

UCL Scholarships

You may be able to win an award or scholarship, which is open to students from the UK, EU and overseas. Go to UCL’s Scholarships and Funding page to find out more about how to apply and how much is available to you.


If you’re employed and considering a course, your employer may consider funding your studies. Many companies also sponsor students, as long as the course is linked to the business and you plan to work in this field after graduating. You can find out more about sponsorship by employers through UCL Careers Service.

Career Development Loans

Career Development Loans are available to UK residents, and generally last for two years. You can borrow up to £10,000 interest-free, but you will need to start re-paying the loan and paying interest a month after the end of the course.

Other Organisations

You may be able to find other bodies that offer funding for graduate students. If you are an overseas student, try contacting your own Ministry of Education to find out more. Organisations such as UNESCO, the EU Commission and the British Council often offer scholarships.